Should Icons be included in contrast requirements?

From: WCAG 2.0 Comment Form <nobody@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 01:09:13 +0000 (UTC)
To: public-comments-wcag20@w3.org

Name: Cynthia Shelly
Email: cyns@microsoft.com
Affiliation: Microsoft
Document: W2
Item Number: Success Criterion 1.4.3
Part of Item:
Comment Type: technical
Summary of Issue: Should Icons be included in contrast requirements?
I know that we decided not to include diagram due to the difficulty of determining the correct contrast for varying line thicknesses and such.  However, icons have a great role in determining usability of a site than general diagrams do.

Proposed Change:
Include icons in contrast requirements.  Define \"icon\" and define what sufficient contrast would look like for an icon.