Eric Hansen reaction to WCAG 2.0 WG responses to Eric's comments on the 2006 working draft

Loretta,

It appears that the responses from the WCAG 2.0 working group adequately
address the concerns I raised, except for an issue for which I consulted
Ruth Loew, who has extensive background in linguistics and sign
language. I should note that I have have reviewed each issue largely in
isolation from other issues, so  evaluation of each issue was not
informed by an understanding of the full document. The doucment appears
to constitute a significant revision.

Ruth feels that definition of the term "human language" (email 1 comment
13) is circular. She writes:

"WCAG 2.0 currently defines 'human language' as 'language that is
spoken, written or signed (visually or tactilely) by humans to
communicate with one another.'
"This begs the definition of 'language.'  A human language is a language
that is used by humans for communication.  (Are there other uses?)  So a
human language is a language used by humans.

"I don't know what the WCAG wants to rule in/out with this definition.
Without knowing that, I can't make other recommendations.  So I'd like
to go on record as NOT accepting this definition and wanting to know the
intent behind it.  With that information, I can probably propose
alternatives.

"(By the way, no linguist would call an invented sign system, as opposed
to a natural sign language, a language.  They're codes for English or
for other spoken/written languages.  So if the idea was to rule these
in, this definition doesn't do it.)"

I (Eric) intend to review the entire document and, if I find issues, to
inform you by 29 June. Thanks!

- Eric

Eric Hansen