WCAG 2.0 checklist comments - editorial

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 10:18:54 +1000
To: public-comments-wcag20@w3.org

[[[
4. This is the first public Working Draft of WCAG 2.0 Checklist.  While we
intend
to provide a printable version and group Success Criteria by Level,
is the information presented clearly? Is this format an effective tool to
help
determine conformance to WCAG 2.0?
]]] - http://www.w3.org/mid/6.1.2.0.2.20050701193111.0209a910@localhost

The linear [0] version is easier to read than the table [1], simply
because it provides some meaningful headers.

"1.3 L2 SC3" is somewhat off-putting as a heading - having the text
expanded to real words would make it easier to read. It may also be worth
numbering all success criteria sequentially, from 1 to 333 (or however
many there finally are), as is done with teh requirements and good
practices in QA's SpecGL [2].

Having used several tools designed to help with evaluation, and in
particular Hera, which takes a similar approach to providing a complete
checklist, I think that the format is a reasonably helpful one. Making it
more compact would be a lot better for frequent use, and making it
actually generate a basic EARL report would be even more valuable. But
these are both functions that tool developers can manage for themselves.

Review of the technical detail will take a little longer :-)

cheers

Chaals

[0] http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-WCAG20-20050630/checklist-linear
[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-WCAG20-20050630/checklist