Re: Specifying an API to query the display color volume

> However, I'm confused by claims that PQ monitors would display the
> input signal nit-for-nit up to capability and lack end user
> adjustments. That would mean any adaptation to the actual viewing
> environment would need to happen at the video signal source. My monitor
> indeed disables brightness and contrast adjustments in PQ HDR mode.

Yea this. I have been confused by Dolby’s decision making here. It is as if to assume that there is a single environment that all PQ displays shall be in… Sure that works for commercial cinema—but only because of the evolution of film technology and the practical limits on film-projector brightness, which demanded a blackout viewing condition.

Well… that ain’t today…

😳😎

Andrew Somers
Senior Color Science Researcher