Re: Tone Mapping Mentioned in Monday's Meeting

Unfortunately I missed the last call but it sounds like interesting
topics were discussed.

Perhaps now is a good time to mention that our SMPTE paper "Color Volume
and Hue-preservation in HDR Tone Mapping" examined the performance of
the different BT.2390 EETF tonemapping methods and proposed an
additional variant based on a MaxRGB norm.  I think the MaxRGB variant
will be included in a future ITU-R BT report.  SMPTE just granted
open-access to our paper, here is the link:

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/9086648

My understanding is that the BT.2390 EETF rolloff is a hermite spline
not a beizer.  I've attached my excel sheets that perform the basic
BT.2390 EETF and ST2094-10 tonemapping curve computations using the
equations from those documents.  The BT.2390 EETF takes luminance
parameters of the mastering display (Lw,Lb) and the target display
(Lmax, Lmin).  If the MaxCLL value is known to be good and reliable, Lw
should be set equal to MaxCLL instead of using the ST2086 max luminance
value.  This point about using MaxCLL is missing from the BT.2390
report.  The EETF also does not alter the midtone slope or gain of the
output, which could be important basic adjustment when viewing the
content outside of a reference viewing environment.  Other types of
spline curves could be designed to take as input a simple slope
(contrast) or gain adjustment as well. ST2094-10 tonemapping includes
content-based parameters (min/average/max) in addition to target
luminance min/max.  The ST2094-10 framework also includes additional
"potentially creative" adjustments corresponding to min/average/max
offset values, tonemapping offset/gain/gamma and midtone slope/contrast n.

A reference [1] to a display-referred format conversion algorithm
describes SDR BT.709 to HDR10 conversion steps.  References to
scene-to-display referred conversions have been defined as the OOTFs in
BT.2100 in addition to the advanced process defined in ACES CTL code [2].

I also want to provide some background on the topic of recommendation vs
report vs example vs standard for tonemapping. There is perhaps an
unspoken tension between content creators, product designers and
engineers that may not be obvious to all. Below is a quick summary of my
understanding of it from my point of view working with episodic
television and movie content creators and the consumer electronics industry:

a) Content creators want their content shown as it appeared to them when
it was created and finished, usually in a dark room on a great display.
This is the "display-referred" paradigm or the older
what-you-see-is-what-you-get (WYSIWYG) paradigm.  Acknowledging that the
content will be shown on worse-performing displays and in less ideal
viewing environments is an obvious commercial reality but is difficult
to address for content creators, unless different versions are
specifically created (dark room great display, dark room bad display,
bright room with small display, etc.).   There can be a lot of variation
across different types of content, because content creators also don't
want always use the same range of colors and luminance for all shows.
For example, there is a creative desire to visually differentiate a
depressing movie taking place in a low contrast desert from an energetic
children's cartoon.  This variation also exists in SDR but the variation
is less because the palette and range are much reduced.

b) Product designers want some flexibility to differentiate the way
their products look from competitors, this is especially true for
traditional television products and seems to be becoming more important
for the computer/mobile display markets.  To differentiate the products
the designers often want to change the way the image looks on the
television to make it "look better" or differentiated vs. their
completion.  If the products follow a standard tonemapping approach, the
product designers feared their products will look identical to the
competitors, and this leads to a fear of being marginalized by cheaper
but otherwise identically looking products. During the introduction of
HDR Video several years ago, television companies embraced the
"scene-referred" paradigm because it was being promoted as
"display-independent".  The television companies thought the format was
designed to give the display flexibility on how the image is displayed
and which played into their desire to differentiate and control their
products.  I believe the original goal of introducing the
"scene-referred" paradigm in HDR Video was to standardize on a
high-dynamic range log-like camera output format that could be mixed and
matched and inter-cut across different camera products and camera brands
within a broadcast facility rather than dealing with the multitude of
proprietary log formats (LogC, SLog, SLog2, Slog3, RedLog, CLog, VLog,
FLog, etc), which seemed like a good goal to me but it seems that this
message may have been lost somehow and instead HLG promotion turned into
a "display independent" message.  I don't know if today's cameras that
output HLG can be mixed and matched and inter-cut with other brands and
products that also output scene-referred HLG.

c) Engineers that aren't attempting to differentiate their products
basically want to be told what they should do, then do it, and then move
on to the next engineering project but agreement between a) and b) about
tonemapping was never reached so here we are.  Display or format logo
licensing programs often have some certification requirements that must
be followed within some tolerance but those are usually private programs
that don't openly share implementation details and performance
tolerances.  Companies offering logo/format licensing programs also have
flexibility in what they require on a case by case basis and who they
want to do business with.  In this logo/format licensing case,
implementors are generally guided about what to do based on what the
certification program requires.  The openly available reports and
examples also can help guide an implementor into doing something that
makes sense in different situations when logo/format licensing
applications are not in play.

Thanks,
Mike

[1] https://movielabs.com/ngvideo/MovieLabs_Mapping_BT.709_to_HDR10_v1.0.pdf