Re: Tone Mapping Mentioned in Monday's Meeting

Indeed.

Note that BT.2390 is not an ITU recommendation, but a report.

The mapping in 5.4.1 is stated as an example.

This example does not desaturate colors to the display primaries, so is not practically usable.

I’ve implemented the BT.2390 5.4.1 example, and found that the bezier was not easily adjustable for different roll-offs.

BT.2408 is also a report, not a recommendation.

The standard SMPTE ST 2094 parts 10, 20, 40 provide other tone mapping functions for PQ content. Yet again, only examples, but they include desaturation as well.

It seems the industry is still searching for a best practice for tone mapping.

Let’s hope for success.

Lars