Re: Pattern: Provide help for complex content

Fazio

Thanks for that summary link. That's very interesting indeed.

I totally agree we need our Patterns to have a solid traceable evidence
basis in practice, science and other research.

However while those details are important for shaping the design
patterns we are working on, they are too much detailed to have in the
Design Guide document itself. At least in it's current form which is for
developers / designers who want to ensure accessibility of their
creations. They need clear guidelines to follow and implement.

Rather these concepts could be included in the User Research [1] and
used to inform the Gap Analysis [2], which in turn influence the Design
Guide contents.

We always advise that automated tests based on WCAG must be supplemented
by user testing.  I think these neuropsychological tests will be
important for guiding user testing based on WCGA requirements and our
Supplemental Patterns in the Design Guide. Perhaps we could also provide
supplemental guidance on how to apply the results of such tests.

Given the amount of work we have to do and our current focus on the
Design Guide I expect we will being iterating on these other documents.
Thus, we can then figure how neuropsychological tests can be used to
guide new Design Guide lines by adding new information to the User
Research and tracing it through.

You've highlighted a very important point - accessibility is a "one size
fits one" thing - ie everyone has their own requirements. The
neuropsychological tests appear to be an important tool for evaluating
an individual requirements.

By their nature, the Design Guide Patterns have to address Gaps that we
identify as being reasonably common. Not so much the long tail.

This leads to the thought that such neuropsychological tests could be
very useful in informing which CogA features the W3Cs personalisation
work should support.

Thanks

Steve

1: https://www.w3.org/TR/coga-user-research/