In my opinion, it’s essential to keep in line with neuropsychology community on this one.

- Fazio

This message was Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse any typographic errors.

On Mar 12, 2019, at 1:13 PM, James A. <A.James@soton.ac.uk<mailto:A.James@soton.ac.uk>> wrote:

Hi Steve

I think your approach will make the pattern clearer. My only comment is whether there are other types of complex information that should be mentioned. For example graphs and tables may be complex in themselves, particularly if there are many options to select to change information (I am thinking about data visualisations and analytics here). The current pattern talks about forms and I see forms with if - then situation ie additional fields appear if you change a radio button, popups are introduced with limited instructions. Or forms can be so sparse I don't know what they are asking for.

Also does "complex content" include UI components? Toolbars and menus can be too complex for people with cognitive disabilities and there is some research on this.

Best wishes

Abi

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Lee <stevelee@w3.org<mailto:stevelee@w3.org>>
Sent: 12 March 2019 18:10
To: public-cognitive-a11y-tf <public-cognitive-a11y-tf@w3.org<mailto:public-cognitive-a11y-tf@w3.org>>
Subject: Pattern: Provide help for complex content

The original design Guide content [1] is rather confusing but during my work on this I decide I had 3 distinct uses cases to drive the Pattern(s)

- I can understand complex content as contextually-relevant graphs, pictures and tables are provided to supplement it

- I can understand complex tables or graphs as extra help is provided to explain the important features

- I can understand a multi stage process as help is provided for all stages and the sequence is always clear

Does that seem correct?

In addition:

a) I'd rather split these into 3 separate patterns so there's 1 use case per pattern

b) They all seem to be more about providing good clear and self supporting content rather than "help" so perhaps should be moved to Object 3? Certainly the 1st one is a good candidate for this.

c) The first use case is a bit vague. What is 'complex' content?

Comments please.

Steve

1: https://emea01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fw3c.github.io%2Fcoga%2Fdesign%2F%23provide-help-for-complex-information&amp;data=01%7C01%7Ca.james%40soton.ac.uk%7C4708234e10d34fec900d08d6a716048d%7C4a5378f929f44d3ebe89669d03ada9d8%7C0&amp;sdata=Ioq13%2Ff%2FReoLjvFjBqunfr41Aa5YQBcvHBZs%2BQ0nygo%3D&amp;reserved=0