Re: We have until tomorrow to object - Fwd: RE: Supplementary document for WCAG 2.1

Hi Mike,

I generally agree, but I think that documents for specific use are also
valuable: we could have one for "Best Practices" (non-normative), but I
would suggest that splitting off "issues" with no known techniques would
also have a value, and more importantly, I was also hoping to see a more
formal "publishing" of the research undertaken by the Task Forces in a
stand-alone document (or documents). All of that research content is
currently scattered across multiple wiki pages that are hard to find, and
somewhat disjointed from the larger WCAG effort.

So:

   1. WCAG 2.1
   2. WCAG non-normative Best Practices
   3. Issues with No Known Solutions today
   4. WCAG Formal Research as of December 2017 [sic]

One advantage of a more finely attuned "splitting" is that it would help
alleviate some of the deadline pressures we are operating under, as we
could stagger the release of multiple documents over a fixed time-line,
rather than a "dump" of WCAG 2.1 plus "Everything Else" (complete with
filtered views, etc.). Our current charter mandates that we "ship" WCAG 2.1
by next summer, but all of the other documentation can "roll-over" beyond
that date, as from what I can tell those would be "additional" deliveries,
and not part of the minimum required deliverable. (Chairs please correct me
if that is not the case.)

Additionally, if we were to separate out the Issues with No Known Solutions
today, we might contemplate passing that along to the Research Questions
Task Force
<https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/research-questions/work-statement>
for further work / study / etc. (Many hands making light work, etc.)

In the end, I can live with either decision, but I believe it is worth
contemplating not only the "what" but also the "how".

JF

--
John Foliot
Principal Accessibility Strategist