Re: Issues with the UN Convention

Hi All,

I understood from yesterday's meeting that cognitive disability is a
different kettle of fish altogether than impairment of the mental
faculties, from a practical perspective.

This is because a cognitive disability means that a person has an
impairment in their ability to collate information from their surroundings,
however they are not impaired in their ability to process that information.
On the other hand, someone who (unfortunately) has a mental disability is
in a reversed position, where they have no problem collating information
but they do have a problem processing it. Subsequently, the paths for these
two categories of people to become full and productive members of society
and enjoy a complete life (which is their unalienable right) are therefore
totally distinct and unrelated.

Hence by decreasing the resolution and the granularity of the demographics
under discussion, the UN document becomes unuseful as a guide to rectifying
the state of the disadvantaged people whom it discusses.

Cheers,

Edward