Issues with the UN Convention

From: Lisa Seeman <lisa1seeman@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 10:47:01 +0300
To: public-cognitive-a11y-tf <public-cognitive-a11y-tf@w3.org>, public-coga-community@w3.org
Hi Folks
I started looking at the UN Convention and it is open to being interpreted
in a highly discriminatory way.

For example article 1 states:

"Persons with disabilities include those who have long-term physical,
mental, intellectual or sensory impairments which in interaction with
various barriers may hinder their full and effective participation in
society on an equal basis with others".

physical, mental, intellectual or sensory does not clarify that this also
includes learning and cognitive. It is critical that we clarify that these
groups are included even when IQ (intellectual) and mental health (also
called a mental illness) are not affected.

I made google docs
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1meD06mSclKFIX7U5fOz58thqgAT6jEVLkATiprG-FH8/edit?usp=sharing>
to collect comments.  I think it is very important.

All the best

Lisa