Re: Web Apps store equivalents

On Friday, 8 March 2013 at 10:43, Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:

> I would agree that making Web apps sellable as software is not
> necessarily a long-term need, but:
> * app stores are not only useful for selling apps; as I tried to detail
> in my message, they also play an important role in terms of discovery

Right, but as many iOS and android developer have discovered, this does not scale well. In the original Widgets specs we had a meta tag to help with auto discovery by search engines. With hosted web apps, like the ones SysApps is specifying, there should be a way of indicating that the applications is "installable". Like:

or some such.

This would allow search engines to find and index apps in a way that is more scalable (hopefully, maybe, fingers crossed).

> * it might be that the competition with the native ecosystem make the
> short term need of selling Web app sufficiently important that we should
> do something about it (but I'm not sure how determine whether that's
> true or not)

Sure, that should certainly be part of the solution.

--
Marcos Caceres
http://datadriven.com.au