Re: Beginnings of a draft report

Since I just have two comments in the Word doc, I just copy them here
for easier discussability etc.

# 2nd paragraph of "Purpose":

A coverage is not just a grid. This is just the most common type.
There’s also trajectories (measurements along a ship track e.g.), or
point clouds, polygons … Grids are just a very common type. You can even
have an infinite number of data points by representing a coverage as a
formula from lat/lon to measurement value (not common, but interpolation
would create such a thing, which you can then store again as a fixed
grid for convenience).

Suggestion:
"A ‘Coverage’ assigns data values to a set of positions in space and/or
time. A common type of structuring positions is using spatiotemporal
grids. Satellite based earth observation imagery are an example of this
since they comprise a simple grid of pixels, the value of which is
represented for humans as a colour. The coordinates for each pixel in
the image are typically stored as metadata next to the image. The values
in each cell in the grid may represent human visible colours but can
also represent things like sea state, temperature, albedo, ice depth,
barometric pressure etc. Especially model based computed grids are often
4 dimensional with a time and height dimension. Apart from structured
grids, another common type of coverages are measurements from sensors
like weather stations, typically at a fixed location measured over time. "

I don’t really understand the last sentence: “When represented in a
Coverage, it may also include spatio-temporal links between different
data items, perhaps across different EO datasets.” What exactly is this
talking about? An example would be good. If you really mean linking a
dataset to another dataset, then this may be at an upper level than
coverages themselves (at DCAT level?). If you mean annotating a part of
a coverage, then this probably also belongs to an upper level. I’m
pretty sure this is not common practice yet if this is what you’re
talking about.

# "Enabling Access and Delivery"

This is about the sentence "Hierarchical structures can also be
described as links between different granularity/resolutions of the data
as well as links that describe spatial and temporal relations between
different data items in a data grid and/or a larger data collection."

What is granularity/resolution referring to in terms of the REST API?
It’s not part of anything we/I developed so far. This is not subsetting!
Also, the other part about relations between data items in a grid is not
clear what you really want to say. Can you explain that? Then I can
suggest some text for that.

Cheers
Maik