Re: You Got Your SVG in my Canvas! Mmm, Delicious!

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 15:13:46 -0700
To: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Cc: public-canvas-api@w3.org
On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:
> Tab Atkins Jr. wrote (on 06/30/2011 02:07 AM):
>> I must make
>> the same requests as I did of other people - we need to know precisely
>> what problems are to be solved before we can decide how to solve them.
>
> I don't understand.
>
> I'm happy to answer your question, because I think there are many advantages
> for general use, as well as for accessibility, but it's not clear what you
> consider a "problem to be solved."  I've listed several benefits on my blog
> post, but it seems like you're looking for something else.
>
> Can we get a bullet-point listing of the kinds of problem sets that you feel
> are appropriate for addressing, along with concrete examples?  I've read all
> of your posts on this topic, and I don't understand what exactly you're
> asking for.  I'm sure the details are hidden there, but the wordiness makes
> my eyes slide right over them.

Sure.  Here's a few use-cases that I've been able to extract from
emails in the threads:

* Low- or no-vision users may have difficult reading text drawn into
an image.  Solutions may involve keeping around the original text, so
it can be accessed by assistive technologies on demand.

* Low- or no-vision users may have difficulty determining the
connections between far-flung sections of a complex image, such as a
graph, because they cannot easily assimilate the entire image's
information at once.  Solutions may involve annotating sections of an
image with descriptions that can be accessed by assistive technology
on demand.

* Low-vision users using a magnifier to aid in resolving details can't
see the entire application at once, and so don't know if something is
happening that requires their attention in a part of the application
that's not currently being magnified.  Solutions may involve telling
the magnifier about active areas, so it can alert the user and
pan/zoom appropriately.

Things of this nature are problems that can be solved, and we can
evaluate how well any given solution solves them.

~TJ