Re: Normative Dependency and the Seven Drafts (was: Canvas API Editors)

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 10:46 PM, Doug Schepers<schepers@w3.org> wrote:
> Hi, Shelley-
>
> Shelley Powers wrote (on 8/17/09 9:42 PM):

>>>  In this instance, I'm not certain myself.  I'd expect that in order for
>>> it
>>>  to be included in HTML5, it will still need an aggressive schedule,
>>> without
>>>  which it might lose relevance... it might just get shipped in HTML5
>>> anyway,
>>>  if we don't resolve the outstanding issues quickly.  I don't want it to
>>> slow
>>>  down HTML5, and I don't think anyone else does either.
>>
>> A concern with this is that what happens if the accessibility effort
>> is going to require a significant chunk of time and work?
>>
>> I'm not sure splitting the text out but tying it into the HTML 5 spec
>> really buys us anything. Let's say folks want to extend the 2D API
>> later -- does the work need to occur through the HTML WG? Does it rely
>> on the release of a new version of HTML?
>>
>> I just don't understand how these spin-offs work. Sorry.
>
> It's not really the spin-off aspect that is the issue, it's the maturity
> along the Recommendation Track.  The same situation applies to the
> XmlHttpRequest (XHR) spec, which was never part of HTML5, but which has a
> normative dependency on aspects of the HTML5 spec (that is, XHR references
> HTML5 for an essential part of its functionality).
>
> Here are the steps of the Recommendation track:
>
> 1) Editor's Draft (ED): not really part of the Rec track, but a normal
> step... this is where the Canvas API spec is right now, a sort of unofficial
> sketchpad by the WG.
>
> 2) First Public Working Draft (FPWD): the first official publication of the
> spec by the WG... this is also one of 2 IP exclusion opportunities, a chance
> for a member of the WG to examine their patent portfolio in light of the
> contents of the spec, see if there are any parts of the spec that can't be
> implemented without one of their patents, and decide if they are going to be
> a mensch and grant a Royalty-Free license, or a nudnik and declare a patent
> exclusion.  At FPWD, they have 150 days from publication to fish or cut
> bait.  Note that here is where one of the trickier aspects of MUST vs.
> SHOULD comes into play... if a spec says MUST, that part of the spec is
> essential, and RF terms apply... if the spec says SHOULD, then a WG
> participant who holds a patent on that bit of the technology doesn't make
> any such RF licensing commitment... it's not just a matter of saying, "this
> is required by implementations/authors/users", it's a legal shibboleth.
>
> 3) Working Draft (WD): after FPWD, there may be several normal iterative
> Working Drafts which refine the spec, and during which the public is allowed
> to provide feedback (and almost inevitably doesn't).  It's fairly typical,
> and even beneficial, for participating implementers to prototype support for
> features throughout this part of the process to examine the best options,
> [...]

Thanks for the detailed answers on the steps. Provides a great deal of clarity.

I'm not sure if dropping is an option, as this was voted on a couple
of years ago, and can only be addressed again if new info presents
itself. At least, that's my understanding of what was discussed last
week. What's your opinion on this in light of the past vote?

I'm not sure the accessibility folks are going to want to wait for
some nebulous future release in order to incorporate accessibility. In
fact, from my understanding, we really shouldn't be addressing future
versions, anyway. We should assume what we're delivering is gold, and
meets the general needs, today. Tomorrow's versions are for tomorrow's
needs, etc etc.

I do agree that decoupling it makes sense, for both HTML and
Canvas--including growing at own rate and allowing interested parties
to focus. I also agree that this would have been so much better if the
split had been made two years ago.

I'd be curious about what the accessibility in canvas folks think on
splitting this out.

Shelley