Re: ACTION-964: Oracle AtomDB

On 2009/10/14, at 10:43 PM, Tom Hume wrote:

> I picked up ACTION-964, to look into Oracle AtomDB with a view to
> seeing whether it should be referenced alongside HTML5 Storage in
> MWABP. This followed a comment from Nikunj Mehta of Oracle.
>
> The main reference to this product that I could find was the white
> paper which Nikunj pointed us to at:
>
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/feeds/pdf/oracle%20atomdb.pdf
>
> which explains AtomDB as a means of transparently adding
> synchronisation of data to web applications which would otherwise
> presume the existence of a connection. AtomDB is implemented as a
> browser plugin. However, I'm not clear how "alive" this product is.
> Searching the Oracle site for "atomdb" found a few empty forums, I
> can't see anywhere to get hold of the AtomDB plugin and I'm wondering
> whether it's available anywhere.

I wasn't able to find one either, and even with a plug-in this still
lacks the public availability of a developer implementation reference,
in case a browser/device vendor needs to port it to their platform -
this itself would make it extremely difficult to be a generally
acceptable solution - cross-platform availability (or portability)
would be crucial for anything mentioned here.

> AtomDB positions itself as a caching and synchronisation layer, rather
> than a mechanism for general "offline storage"; so it wouldn't seem
> appropriate to add to section 3.1.2.1 (which talks about persistent
> storage) or section 3.5.1.1 (talking about improving startup times).
> It might be appropriate for inclusion into section 3.1.3.2, but we
> don't mention any other technologies in this section. It might be
> relevant for inclusion into the Offline Web Applications note
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/offline-webapps/).
>
> I don't think we should add a reference to AtomDB to a BP document
> unless the plugin is available somewhere and in use.

My belief is that mentioning a specific plug-in in the BP document
would be contradicting to the general applicability of the BP document
as it is. If there would be something that mentions client side
storage, that should ideally be a pointer to DOM Storage or Offline
Web Applications as you have pointed out.

Sangwhan

--
Sangwhan Moon <smoon@opera.com>, Opera Software ASA
Skype: innodb1 | Mobile: +372-5971-6147