ACTION-964: Oracle AtomDB

From: Tom Hume <tom.hume@futureplatforms.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 14:43:15 +0100
To: Mobile Web Best Practices Working Group WG <public-bpwg@w3.org>
Cc: nikunj.mehta@oracle.com
I picked up ACTION-964, to look into Oracle AtomDB with a view to
seeing whether it should be referenced alongside HTML5 Storage in
MWABP. This followed a comment from Nikunj Mehta of Oracle.

The main reference to this product that I could find was the white
paper which Nikunj pointed us to at:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/feeds/pdf/oracle%20atomdb.pdf

which explains AtomDB as a means of transparently adding
synchronisation of data to web applications which would otherwise
presume the existence of a connection. AtomDB is implemented as a
browser plugin. However, I'm not clear how "alive" this product is.
Searching the Oracle site for "atomdb" found a few empty forums, I
can't see anywhere to get hold of the AtomDB plugin and I'm wondering
whether it's available anywhere.

AtomDB positions itself as a caching and synchronisation layer, rather
than a mechanism for general "offline storage"; so it wouldn't seem
appropriate to add to section 3.1.2.1 (which talks about persistent
storage) or section 3.5.1.1 (talking about improving startup times).
It might be appropriate for inclusion into section 3.1.3.2, but we
don't mention any other technologies in this section. It might be
relevant for inclusion into the Offline Web Applications note
(http://www.w3.org/TR/offline-webapps/).

I don't think we should add a reference to AtomDB to a BP document
unless the plugin is available somewhere and in use.

Tom

--
Future Platforms: hungry and foolish since 2000
work: Tom.Hume@futureplatforms.com play: tomhume.org