Re: [ACTION 897] Establish best current practice regarding withrawal of use of X- form

Jo Rabin wrote:
>> In short, you are asking that servers fail to correctly handle the
> request
>> as
>> specified and make caching far less effective at the same time, in
>> addition to
>> doubling the latency on request parsing due to these useless header
> fields
>> being sent to servers that have no interest in reading them."
>
> The point of informing the server of the original headers is so that if
> a webmaster was ever to review the logs they would be able to answer the
> question "how much mobile traffic do I get". We're keen that sites
> should support a mobile experience and if there is no evidence in the
> logs of ever being visited by mobile the motivation for creating mobile
> experiences will be reduced.

[I know I already expressed my concerns about the X-Device-* headers
during last F2F, but...]

I wonder how many content providers actually log the whole HTTP header
of the request? (apart from "mobile" content providers, that is, who are
probably already aware of content transformation proxies)

I think most of the Web servers are configured to log few HTTP header
fields, those that may be useful to compute stats afterwards:
User-Agent, Accept, Accept-Charset, Referer, that kind of fields. I
don't think any of them logs by default any of the X- headers Eduardo
mentioned.

That is not to say that it can't be done, but merely that Webmasters
would already have to know what they are looking for. If they know what
they are looking for, then they may as well run a little experiment by
sending a "Vary: User-Agent" to force intermediary proxies to send back
the original request and see what changes. Extracting logs information
is often flawed anyway, because of caching.

If, on the contrary, the rationale is to ensure that mobile Content
Providers can always reconstruct the original HTTP request and reply to
the "real" user agent, why isn't the use of the "Vary: User-Agent" HTTP
header and the emphasis that the original request should be sent first
enough? I understand it has a cost (a potential additional round trip),
but at least it doesn't require the Content Provider to change anything
in his code and doesn't create any architectural problem from an HTTP
point of view.

[Note that I'm sure many Content Providers around vary their
representations and do not use the "Vary" header. But then that means
they probably do not use caching either, so that could be a good
opportunity to have them start improving caching directives]

In short, I find that having the X-Device-* headers is somehow
misleading, especially if the rationale to have them is the need for
logs that could eventually be used by Webmasters.

I share Eduardo's thoughts, though I probably go one step further: I
don't think we should register new HTTP header fields. I don't think we
should use X-Device-* header fields at all. We should just ensure that
the original header fields can be received by Content Providers!

Or we could reference them informatively in the Content Providers
section "By the way, if you're looking for some stats, here are places
where you may find the original header fields".

I think there was another rationale to have them in, which I confess I
forgot...

Francois.