RE: [ACTION 897] Establish best current practice regarding withrawal of use of X- form

> In short, you are asking that servers fail to correctly handle the
request
> as
> specified and make caching far less effective at the same time, in
> addition to
> doubling the latency on request parsing due to these useless header
fields
> being sent to servers that have no interest in reading them."

The point of informing the server of the original headers is so that if
a webmaster was ever to review the logs they would be able to answer the
question "how much mobile traffic do I get". We're keen that sites
should support a mobile experience and if there is no evidence in the
logs of ever being visited by mobile the motivation for creating mobile
experiences will be reduced.

Jo
On
> Behalf Of Eduardo Casais
> Sent: 02 February 2009 09:30
> To: public-bpwg@w3.org
> Subject: [ACTION 897] Establish best current practice regarding
withrawal
> of use of X- form
>

> 1.	FEEDBACK.
>
> Five persons responded privately and in two different mailing lists.
Here

www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-message-headers/current/msg00097.html

www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-message-headers/current/msg00096.html
> lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2009JanMar/0066.html
> lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2009JanMar/0044.html
> lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2009JanMar/0034.html
> lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2009JanMar/0029.html
> lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2009JanMar/0026.html
> lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2009JanMar/0022.html
> lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2009JanMar/0019.html
>

> 2.	HEADER FIELD MANAGEMENT.
>
> Information about the registration and retirement of HTTP header
fields is
> summarized as follows:
>
> a) There is no complete process for managing the life-cycle of HTTP
header
> fields. The only formalized aspect is the registration of fields on
the
> IANA
> registries, which is specified in RFC3864 (also known as BCP90). The
IETF
> considers things pragmatically on a case by case basis before fixing a
> policy.
>
> b) There are two IANA registries: a provisional and a permanent one.
The
> [...]
> possible.
>

> 4.	X-DEVICE SCHEME.
>
> Out of five correspondents, two were completely neutral with respect
> the
> (X-)Device-* scheme; one did not see the point of it and why we would
need
> these
> header fields; two were clearly hostile, considering the scheme as
> inherently
> flawed.
>
> The fundamental criticism is that a proxy must fill the standard
fields
> with
> that information that allow the servers to produce optimal content. It
> should
> ask the server for the most appropriate representation for the device,
and
> transform the response only if it is not ideal. If substitute values
are
> unsuitable to generate mobile-optimized content, this means that the
> original
> HTTP header fields must not be modified.
>
> Quoting:
>
> "A content transformation proxy does not want the "server of mobile
web
> applications" to return content that is adjusted specifically for that
> terminal.
> If they did, they wouldn't need to change all of the request fields in
the
> first
> place to pretend not to be that terminal. They would just forward the
> original
> request without change, or adjust the parameters in the modified
request
> such
> that device-specific media types are preferred over standard media
types.

> A content server DOES NOT want to know about some request parameters
other
> than
> what it is already designed to vary the representation. What you
suggest
> would
> require those servers to also Vary the content by these X-Device
header
> fields
> and specifically not comply with the standard fields for content
> negotiation.
> In short, you are asking that servers fail to correctly handle the
request
> as
> specified and make caching far less effective at the same time, in
> addition to
> doubling the latency on request parsing due to these useless header
fields
> being sent to servers that have no interest in reading them."
>
> These criticisms correspond pretty much to the issue the community of
> mobile
> developers has been raising regarding that specific aspect of
CT-proxies;

www.imc.org/ietf-medfree.

> Quoting:
>
> "In particular, the thrust of the work was to guide content adaptation
> through
> the description of fine-grained "media features" rather than
> identification of
> devices [...].
> Some of the ideas were carried through into W3C work on CC/PP, though
the
> RDF
> format is, of course, very different.  In particular, I always felt
that
> the
> media features registry could be embedded in URI space (for use with
CC/PP