RE: ISSUE-237 (Define Mobile Web Applications): What is the definition of a "Mobile Web Application" for the purposes of BP2? [Mobile Web Applications Best Practices]

I'm not sure I'm interpreting this right, but I think I agree with Dan's text in the issue statement. I like to divide the world into

a) applications that run within i standard web browser (context)

and

b) applications that don't

I think BPWG should focus on the former.

Standalone J2ME apps (and applets) belong to the latter and can probably best be considered client-server applications. They might happen to use HTTP as a transport, but that's kind of unimportant I think. They might also interact with a browser somehow but I also find that unimportant. I would not call them web applications.

Attempting to say anything about apps that aren't constrained by a web browser (i.e. expressed in HTML and JavaScript) seems pretty open ended.

thanks,

Magnus Lönnroth
Head of PDU SDP
Development Unit Multimedia Products