From: public-bpwg-request@w3.org [mailto:public-bpwg-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Daniel Barclay
Sent: 20 July 2005 17:26
To: Barbara Ballard
Cc: public-bpwg@w3.org
Subject: Re: Best Practices document - not best practices

Barbara Ballard wrote:
>> I think you missed my point:  It's a bit contradictory
>> (hypocritical?) for a page about best practices for the mobile web to

>> not follow best practices for the regular web.
>

> If the document is written for mobile web, then best practices for
> the
> regular web are irrelevant.

The document _about_ the mobile web is _presented_ on the regular web.

Although good practices for the regular web may be irrelevent to the
_content_ of the document, they are certainly relevant to the
_presentation_ of the document.

Not bothering to understand and follow good practices for the regular
web in the presentation of that document certainly does not instill
confidence in the content.

 > In fact, best practices for the  regular
> web can greatly interfere with the experience on the mobile web.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if you're referring to common
practices that I'd argue aren't good practices (e.g., pages or text
documents that have widths tied to fixed-width elements).

Daniel