Re: Best Practices document - not best practices

Holley Kevin (Centre) wrote:

> Could I ask how we tell the difference between "mobile web" and "regular
> web" ?

If you ask Barbara.  :-)

(I wasn't advocating such a distinction, just countering her argument
in terms of her own distinctions.)

> Personally I use a mobile device to view "web" pages.  In many cases I
> can read what is there irrespective of whether the target is "mainstream
> web" or "mobile web".

I wish I had such good luck reading pages even on a regular computer
and screen.  Apparently, most page designers can't understand the
concept of using a large screen to have multiple, smaller windows
and assume everyone's using one full-screen browser window.

If designers were more aware of mobile device limititations (e.g.,
browser display width), maybe they'd use more-flexible page layouts,
which would also help pages display better in non-full-screen
browsers on non-mobile computers.

Daniel