RE: URLs and access issues

Thanks Tim,

I am not advocating that this is the best approach, Sometimes users may not want to be re-directed to specific content, they may ecially not if they may be using one of the 'full browser' applications on their phone.

Also you are right, the re-directing based on UserAgents scripts are out of the reach of most content creators and from the sounds of it would be expensive ( having to buy a DB of user agents ).

I like the idea of the user choosing their content when they reach the site, however, would they first see the full site and pay for all the packets of data they download as a result, or would they first see a cut down mobile site and maybe get disapointed at the lack of content, or perhaps a screen with just the two choices on ?

Marcus
http://cellsuite.blogspot.com

Tim Moss <Tim@bango.com> wrote:
Marcus,

I'll reply on Ray's behalf - I hope he won't mind!

I can understand that his email "twinged your geek pride" (!), but that is part of the point Ray is making:

You need to be a bit of a geek in order to be able to create a site on one URL that can handle i-mode phones and PC browsers.
OK it is not rocket science in the grand scheme of things, but even this is beyond the abilities of many, and still requires that a 'database' (of some description) of i-mode user agents needs to be employed and maintained.

In Japan you are 'lucky' that DoCoMo has such a monopoly and always identifies its devices sensibly via the user-agent.
This isn't the case here in Europe, and of course doesn't deal with visitors, tourists, travellers etc. who would be using their non-DoCoMo devices.

So for many, using two URLs is just technically easier (not better!).

As you say, in Japan it may now also serve as a way to help manage the user's expectations of what they will see when they get to the site.

In my view this is better done on the site itself (e.g. user chooses "Show me the web/mobile version") rather than by having to use different URLs.

If you were to write down or bookmark the 'wrong' URL, or pass it on to a friend for example, without the feature above, then there's no easy way to get to other versions of the site.

Tim Moss
CTO
Bango

e: tim@bango.com
m: +44 78 8779 4032
w: http://www.bango.com

"Come and see us on stand 14 at MCW 2005

Olympia Conference Centre, London, UK
13th - 15th September 2005"
www.mobilecontentworld.biz