RE: URLs and access issues

This didn't make it to the list

________________________________

	From: Ray Anderson [mailto:ray@bango.net]
	Sent: 09 August 2005 14:50
	To: Tim Moss; Ray Anderson; Rotan Hanrahan; public-bpwg@w3.org
	Subject: RE: URLs and access issues

	I'd also like to add another suggestion at this point.

	The idea of having different URL's for different devices is no
use, and thats why .MOBI and wap.site.com etc. are
	never going to reach the mainstream.  What is needed however
(which in someways underlies the .mobi idea)
	is an indicator to users that a URL will probably work if they
enter it on their phone.

	Its the same idea that is used on phone numbers.  Some people
say FAX 01223 472778 or GSM 07768 123456
	to give a clue (Fax or smsable) about phone numbers.

	I believe the time is right to encourage the use of a symbolic
way of saying "try it on your mobile", or "works on WAP"
	My suggestion is that web addresses followed by (M) are
accessible while mobile.  So, an ad might say, visit
	bango at www.bango.net <http://www.bango.net/>   (M)   or   go
to www.vodafone.com <http://www.vodafone.com/>  (M)
	The good news is that the (M) is not a trademark and easy to use
wherever a user could show a URL (like in the text above)
	Its also clearly not part of the URL.  Web sites that falseley
state (M) will earn disrespect.  Site owners will be encouraged to use
(M) to drive more usage.   It does not cost any extra or imply too much,
other than making people follow the Mobile Web initiative.

	I suggest we lobby .MOBI to support (M) as an alternative to
buying a new domain name....