RE: URLs and access issues

Exactly !!!

Don't know why, but I didn't receive Ray's mail.

I was going to agree to Tim's comment about the advertising issue :

I agree that communicating on two URL add much more complexity and cost and
is harder to understand/memorize for user, which is one other main problem
of choosing a two URL strategy.

Our client for example, mentionned they already had to pressure the comm.
department for a long time to get the website URL displayed on any ads. They
cannot imagine to be able to add another URL.

But then I wanted to raise (again ?) the problem that Ray has just
mentionned :

When you've invested in a specific website version designed to suite to
mobile usage, you want to your customer know about it.
And to everyone,  <http://www.company> www.company  means "desktop website".
And this may remains until more than 50% of website are "mobileOK".

So Ray's idea to a visual logo and/or symbol is really important.
And reading Rotan's comment I think this was already in the intial goal of
the "mobileOK" label (I only thought it was meant for developpers and
useragents, not for users).

But such logo/symbol has to be though in a marketing way to be adopted on
any media.

To mention again our french specific mobile kiosk* (that is really something
other telcos should really look at) :
As said before, each site registered on this kiosk gets an ID (usually the
company or service brand).
There is also a communication charter with a logo (flashy green and pink) to
respect (not to mention the ergonomic guidelines).

For example Amazon France would communicate with such logo or typo :
( GALLERY >> AMAZON )

The code "AMAZON" can then be typed either in the Gallery search form
present on any telco portal, or sent by SMS to the 30130 to receive the site
URL.

Our three telcos are currently making much advertisment on Gallery (to
create brand awarness). Then, with all the editors communicating using this
charter, Gallery will soon become synonym of mobile Internet in France.

In this sense, the mobile is really considered as a new media.

* Gallery presentation (public flash site in french) : www.gallerymobile.fr

Cheers,

Nicolas Combelles
R&D & Mobile marketing projects Manager