Changing User Agent Header Value (was Re: transcoders bad)

This seems to be going round in circles and I am unsure of what points
are being made. It's going to be difficult for the WG to extract
specific points to be addressed.

I think that there is a possibility that the discussion is based on
premises that I don't perceive in the document.

It would be helpful to me, as editor, to know as separate issues:
a) in which ways the document does not make any of it clear,
b) which aspects of what it specifies are objectionable, and what
possible alternatives there are, given the objectives.

Here's how I see it.

1) Changing User Agent or other headers is not prohibited by HTTP -
except for as noted under 13.5.2

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2616#section-13.5.2

2) The CT Guidelines don't view the combination of transforming proxy
and user agent as an extended user agent. That means that the normal
operation of a CT proxy, as defined by us, is the same as the operation
of a regular proxy.

3) We specify, over and above what HTTP specifies, that the User Agent
and other headers should be left alone except in certain specific cases.

4) The first case is where a request, with the original headers, is
rejected with a 406 error or equivalent. In this case the proxy MAY
change the headers, but if it does MUST preserve the old ones in a
different form. The reason for this is that in this case it is likely
that the site does not have a specific mobile experience, and it serves
the user's interest to get them an experience of some kind.

The document provides scope for CT Proxies to "remember" previous
behaviour of Web sites and to short cut content tasting with original
headers on the basis of that. This seems sensible on the basis that it
improves user experience and reduces load on servers. However, if CT
proxies adopt this behaviour then they must be prepared to reverse out
of it if circumstances change.

Also, there is the possibility that the site really doesn't want the
user of a mobile device to experience their content, and the option is
open to them to signal that by using no-transform on the 406 response.
This seems reasonable to me, given the relative infrequency of this use
case, and given that special effort has to be taken to reject specific
user agents in the first place.

5) The second case is where the user has specifically requested a
restructured desktop experience. This is equivalent in my mind to using
the Firefox User Agent Switcher.

My personal view is that most users will want to perceive a specially
crafted mobile experience rather than a restructured experience, but
other people do not share my view and it is at least conceivable that
this is the case.

The document says "specifically requested". That means, in my view, that
it is not established as a default setting.

[In detail there are also cases where a proxy MAY continue with headers
from a previous request for the sake of continuing an ongoing session
with some kind of consistency. We're talking about the "initial request"
here.]

6) Notwithstanding either of the above:

The document says:

... It is anticipated that proxies will maintain preferences on a user
by user and Web site by Web site basis, and will change their behaviour
in the light of changing circumstances as discussed under 4.3.4 Receipt
of Vary HTTP Header.

Section 4.3.4 says that the Proxy must keep an eye out for changed
behaviour at the server and must re-evaluate both user preferences and
the allowed short-cut on content tasting if circumstances change.

7) Allow and Disallow lists and what not.

We don't refer to lists in the document on the basis that we model the
behaviour of the proxy in a black box way, i.e. the details of its
internal operation are not subject to our specification. However, no
matter how it works internally, the proxy must change its behaviour in
the above circumstances.

In my mind this is specifically intended as a work around to real world
operational problems and to provide a "self-healing" capability for
incorrectly configured proxies.

8) Summary

The normal course of operation of a conforming CT proxy is not to change
any header that it is not required to by HTTP.

There are two exceptions where the actual device headers are not
presented first. They are 1) that the CT proxy is trying to optimise the
fact that the request with the original headers will be rejected, and 2)
where the user has specifically requested a restructured version of the
desktop experience.

In both cases a server will have the knowledge that this is happening
and may reject this behaviour.

Servers are not required to change their operation. If they decide to
conform that is their option. If they don't, then conforming CT proxies
are required in any case to assess whether the server is offering a
mobile friendly service.

I hope this clarifies any misunderstanding as to what the document says.
These are my views and not the official view of the Task Force, the
Working Group, the W3C or any divine being.

Jo