Re: AWWSW Telecon Tuesday 2011-08-30 ?

(Answering out of order)

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> Jonathan Rees writes:
>
>> And I haven't gotten much feedback on
>> http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/awwsw/ir/latest/ , which to me pretty much
>> answers to my satisfaction the question that created this group (at
>> the HCLS/TAG meeting way back when): what is this 'information
>> resource' deal and what does it have to do with the price of eggs?
>
> Next query -- it seems to me that (in section 3)
>
>  G is "on the Web" at U means that U's authorized representations are
>  exactly those representations that G generalizes
>
> is unlikely to be satisfied form almost any G.  E.g. a pdf version of
>
>  http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/awwsw/ir/latest/
>
> is certainly generalised by the same G which generalises the existing
> html version, but no pdf version is currently authorised, so that
> means G isn't "on the Web"???

Let G1 = [ir:onWebAt "http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/awwsw/ir/latest/"]
Let G2 = something generalizing the existing HTML version and all
other "equivalent" versions including PDF

Maybe G1 = G2, maybe not. Suppose you want to know. You go to the
tenant of the www.w3.org domain and ask "what's served from that URI?"
They say, I don't know, ask JAR, he takes care of that part of CVS
space. So you ask me, and I can say anything I like. I can say, I will
never ever authorize a PDF file at that URI, and I'll make darn sure
no one else does either. Or I can say, oh yes, any time someone gives
me an equivalent version, I authorize it (and maybe even put it on the
site) - that is, G2 is on the web at the URI, and in fact G1 = G2. You
just won't know unless you have out of band communication with me -
and even then your belief in any statement I make about what will be
authorized (served) will depend on how reliable you think I am, the
time scope in which you care, whether we agree on what "equivalent"
means, how much it matters to you that what you believe is true, and
so on.

The theory points at how one might think about mirrors and
persistence, but I haven't written about that yet.

Now I wish I were going to Salonika next week.

Jonathan