AW: VSS instantiation discussion

Hello,

Let me just quickly "disarm" my CSV comments ad put "dumb" in a perspective, as I think this is not the main point we need to  discuss :)

The point is, in VSS (in YAML) is a tree/graph. Formats like JSON or maybe RDF can capture this (and easily attach all metadata). CSV as such has no concept of graphs/parents/childs, so the "."-notation is a convention: CSV doesn't care, I/my App  needs to know what vehicle.Body.xx.yy" means in VSS context. There may be other useful formats that cannot preserve all semantics and contents of VSS (except by  using conventions). So let me replace "sane" with "obvious": There are output formats where it is not "obvious" how to project all of VSS semantic , and depending on an application might not even be needed.
Therefore this was just my argument to not make the wording regarding "transformations MUST preserve" anything too hard.

(I still strongly agree that if we have "paths" in the tree they have to look similar in all uses)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Sebastian Schildt

Communication and Network Technology (DS1) (CR/ADT1)
Robert Bosch GmbH | Renningen | 70465 Stuttgart | GERMANY | www.bosch.com
Tel. +49 711 811-15765 | Mobil +49 173 7124227 | Sebastian.Schildt@de.bosch.com

Sitz: Stuttgart, Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 14000;
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Franz Fehrenbach; Geschäftsführung: Dr. Volkmar Denner,
Prof. Dr. Stefan Asenkerschbaumer, Dr. Michael Bolle, Dr. Christian Fischer, Dr. Stefan Hartung,
Dr. Markus Heyn, Harald Kröger, Christoph Kübel, Rolf Najork, Uwe Raschke, Peter Tyroller