Re: VSS instantiation discussion

Inline

On Wed, Jul 8, 2020 at 1:12 PM Gunnar Andersson <gandersson@genivi.org>
wrote:

> On Wed, 2020-07-08 at 09:54 +0000, Schildt Sebastian (CR/ADT1) wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > As usual (well most of the time J ) what Ulf says makes sense.
> >
> > First two points I would agree, however for the last one
> > “All metadata from a node in YAML MUST be preserved in the translations,
> > except for instantiation metadata that MUST not be present. “
> >
> > I am not so sure. Because if exporting to “dumb” formats like .csv it
> > might not even be possible to do that in a sane way.
>
> As of today I would say that as of today all formats are equally dumb or
> smart (basically they include exactly the same information) but maybe not
> in some of the future scenarios that were discussed.
>
> Please explain further what you mean that it is not possible to do in a
> sane way.   We have made proposals already how to describe the complete
> "flat" tree after insantiation has happened.  So those are not sane or your
> mind is on a different scenario.
>
> > Personally I doubt the usefulness of CSV export anyway, but since some
> > people use it/need it, such things should not be forbidden.
>
> I have the same view of CSV but almost for all other formats too, including
> JSON, as we discussed yesterday.   Individual consumers may want to have
> these formats, but the VSS itself should stay concentrated on the meaning
> of the source format in YAML.  That said, I think it's also most likely
> that VSS must define some things about how instantiation is transformed
> into a concrete tree, instead of leaving that open for implementations.

I think is absolutely vital from an interoperability point of view that VSS
clearly defines the outcome of instantiation.

> I'm mostly hoping for a single basic translation in all cases, not
> different ones depending on the target format.

 If not, we have failed. Completely.

> Whether the VSS-tools provides converters to different formats is a
> separate issue.  We should expect even more of them to pop up:
>
> Recently, a converter to Franca IDL was updated and functioning.  This
> serves a purpose because there are other existing and proven tools that
> ingest Franca IDL, and because it is a generic interface language used for
> other reasons.  (And for that matter the Vehicle Service Catalog - VSC will
> be functionally compatible with Franca as well).
>
> The same should be true for generation of AUTOSAR-XML, in my personal
> opinion.  Also there we have a situation with  a platform and toolset that
> expects a certain input format.
>
> While I'm on the topic -- more examples:  We have already made conversions
> of VSS to GraphQL schema, and tooling should to go into vss-tools
> eventually.
>
> Conversion to DTDL (basically JSON-LD) which is used by Microsoft is to be
> expected, and it remains to be seen if such a converter might also be
> hosted in GENIVI/vss-tools or not.
>
> So, providing those tools can be useful but we should try to keep the
> discussions apart if we can.   (continued below)
> I also think in a lot of those cases a de-facto implementation could be
> enough, with not so much formal requirement specifications at least
> initially.
>
> As far as CSV being (not) useful, my opinion is:
> Either implement a ".TXT" format that only lists the VSS node names with
> full paths, and nothing else, or simply accept that the *first column* of
> the CSV is what we have used to serve this purpose.   That's my view at
> least on what the CSV format is being used for today.

We already have this:
https://github.com/GENIVI/vehicle_signal_specification/blob/master/spec/VehicleSignalSpecification.id
I think this list should be pointed to in the documentation as the place to
find the full paths of the completet tree.

> > I think we should formulate as guidelines
> >   “All metadata from a node in YAML SHALL be preserved in the
> > translations”
>
> Sounds reasonable in general but I'm not sure I agree.  Maybe it is  a
> devil's advocate counter point, but I could envision some target technology
> where not all metadata is used.  So why then force to include it in a
> conversion?  Let's say a particular target has no possibility to make use
> of the description line, for example.  Why would you then put it into that
> generated file?
>
> Perhaps by preserved you mean that it should be a reasonable conversion *if
> it is included* so that a kind of semantic compatibility remains?  I would
> lean more towards such a statement.
>
> Basically I think it is already implied that anyone will include all the
> metadata that will be useful, and there is no risk of forgetting to do
> that.

Implied rules are not to trust, better make them explicit.