Re: VSS Layers introduction

>> The solution I see is to have two tools (heard that before;?), one that
takes the existing vspec files+instantiation data, and generate
>> two files -
>>  One that contains the complete, instantiated tree, including all
metadata from the vspec files,
>>  One that contains the complete, instantiated tree, excluding  all node
metadata from the vspec files.

>> The empty skeleton tree can then be populated with layers information,
and then both files are fed to another tool that merges the
>> two trees, and transforms it to other format(s).

 > I don’t see necessarily two kinds of tools, just another output of
the parser. Like, instead of ‘make csv’ take ‘make layer-skeleton’.

I agree. I don't even see why two different output files would be needed
either if one is only a subset of the other.

I really don't understand why this has to be so complicated and somewhat
overengineered if we are already half-way there with the current
implementation. Unless I am really missing something. What is the
problem we are trying to solve beyond a method to add, remove, modify
branches, nodes, attributes? Add and modify can already be done. Remove not.

What does the instantiation feature do in the first place? And why is it
necessary for a specification? Isn't that an implementation detail?

:rjs

--
-----
Rudolf J Streif