Re: Standardized endpoint name for VISS (was: Re: Request to make the issue list for VISS)

On Tue, 2017-09-12 at 09:23 +0100, Gavigan, Kevin wrote:
> Hi Gunnar,
>
> Thanks, you raise and make some very pertinent points.

OK, good.  I was hoping someone would go through each of them and just
confirm that what I said was true, so far.  Because this is a process to
lead to a conclusion.  But I suppose maybe you agreed now, implicitly?

> Suggest that another important point is:  What if an OEM wants to install
> two or more VIS Servers on the same vehicle network.

Yes even name resolution of a single well known name would not solve that.
You'd have to either have a discovery protocol of some sort (and then
zeroconf comes to mind -- yes I now saw the feedback Ted relayed, mentioning
mDNS, which is the same thing IIRC?)

Or you would leave that up to OEM-specific configuration that is somehow
passed from system to "app" when the app is launched.

I think there's a limit to how far you will be able to here specify the
exact application standard, which includes APIs like that between OS (or
"application manager") and app.  But a single well-known name might be
useful still.

In fact... come to think of it - is this thing perhaps better defined in a
different specification, one which specifies an (automotive) web application
standard, rather than in the server specification?

> For example, the designers of the instrument cluster might decide to
> implement the VISS specification and install a VIS Server in the cluster
> in order to get vehicle speed, engine rpm, fuel levels etc and display
> them to the user.

That's why I asked.  Is this assuming a local server, or a server
"anywhere".  Is it simply intended to be a well-known name to address the
*default* VIS server, wherever that exists in the entire routable
(inter)net.

> Almost in parallel, the designers of the new Infotainment System decide to
> implement the VISS specification and add a VIS Server to the electronic
> control unit (ECU) that hosts the Infotainment System.
>
> Does anyone on the thread have views on how best to address this - or
> should we remove references to wwwivi and state that implementors will
> document how to connect to the VIS Server

I still think you might be doing something useful if the specification
requires (or perhaps recommends?) a well-known name for the default server.
But I'm trying to really get to the root characteristics of what that thing
is supposed to mean, before forming a final opinion.

Thanks
- Gunnar

--
Gunnar Andersson <gandersson@genivi.org>