Re: German Translation WCAG 2.1 - Disapproval

On 24 Mar 2022, at 9:58, Stefan Schumacher wrote:

> Hello Eric,
>
> Am 24.03.22 um 08:07 schrieb Eric Eggert:
>> You can find the current translation guidelines for W3C Standards
>> https://www.w3.org/Consortium/Translation/Overview.html
>
> I found the wrong link, because my search was too quick, and I didn't
> look at the documents for a long time. Thanks for correcting me.
>

>> Among these guidelines, it states:
>>
>>     **Do not change or adapt or add to the meaning of the English
>>     version in your translation.** If you have suggestions for
>> changes
>>     to the English version, provide them to the technical report
>> editors
>>     as indicated in *Status of this Document section** of the
>> technical
>>     report.
>
> Indeed you have to translate even errors that have an errata, so that
> the translation shows the error.

Errata can be fixed in translations and we have done so for WCAG 2.1
(like the German WCAG 2.0 translation did for WCAG 2.0).

> That does not mean that you cannot add an annotation, that points the
> reader to the errata and explains the errata.
>

>> I do not find any information on how to add translation notes inside
>> the normative text. (But this might be under-documented.)
>

> If you follow this link
> https://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/IPR-FAQ-20000620#translate
> you will find the section:
> May I annotate one of your specifications?
>
> Here it says that you can annotate specifications if you follow the
> described procedure. Indeed the documents are old, but still valid as
> far as I can see.

This is about annotations for specifications, not necessarily about
Authorized Translations.

> As an example for annotated translations you can refer to the German
> translations of various documents, e.g. HTML 4.01.

I found this translation of HTML4.01 which is **not** Authorized, and
also not a finalized document:
http://www.edition-w3.de/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/

> A short example can be found here:
> http://www.schumacher-netz.de/TR/2013/REC-html-rdfa-20130822.de.html

This is also not an Authorized Translation of the specification (and
also self-referential).

> In the header it is stated that the document contains annotations.
> Within the document there is a clearly marked section "Kommentar des
> Übersetzer" with a different background color, the same color that is
> used for the translation header.
>

>> That said, the WCAG 2.0 translation has an “Anmerkungen” section
>> in the top disclaimer area, and links to a separate “Anmerkungen
>> zur deutschen Übersetzung der WCAG 2.0” page.
>> (https://www.w3.org/Translations/WCAG20-de/anmerkungen.html
>> <https://www.w3.org/Translations/WCAG20-de/anmerkungen.html> )
>
> I have seen that approach, imho, a good way to list the comments in
> the document. But keeping the comments in place were misunderstandings
> could occur is more helpful than only showing these "Anmerkungen" at
> the bottom. Readers search for specific sections, read them and leave.
> So the "Anmerkungen" will not be read in most cases.

It might be a better way, but it also adds interpretation to the
specification that is not in the original. I would rather press for
clarifications in the original.

Skimming several WCAG 2.1 translations, I could not find translator
notes in any of them. https://www.w3.org/Translations/#s-WCAG21

I can reach out to my contacts at W3C and see if there is a way.

👋 Eric