Re: German Translation WCAG 2.1 - Disapproval

Hello Eric,

Am 24.03.22 um 08:07 schrieb Eric Eggert:
> You can find the current translation guidelines for W3C Standards
> https://www.w3.org/Consortium/Translation/Overview.html

I found the wrong link, because my search was too quick, and I didn't
look at the documents for a long time. Thanks for correcting me.

> Among these guidelines, it states:
>
>     **Do not change or adapt or add to the meaning of the English
>     version in your translation.** If you have suggestions for changes
>     to the English version, provide them to the technical report editors
>     as indicated in *Status of this Document section** of the technical
>     report.

Indeed you have to translate even errors that have an errata, so that
the translation shows the error.

That does not mean that you cannot add an annotation, that points the
reader to the errata and explains the errata.

> I do not find any information on how to add translation notes inside the
> normative text. (But this might be under-documented.)

If you follow this link
https://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/IPR-FAQ-20000620#translate
you will find the section:
May I annotate one of your specifications?

Here it says that you can annotate specifications if you follow the
described procedure. Indeed the documents are old, but still valid as
far as I can see.

As an example for annotated translations you can refer to the German
translations of various documents, e.g. HTML 4.01.
A short example can be found here:
http://www.schumacher-netz.de/TR/2013/REC-html-rdfa-20130822.de.html

In the header it is stated that the document contains annotations.
Within the document there is a clearly marked section "Kommentar des
Übersetzer" with a different background color, the same color that is
used for the translation header.

> That said, the WCAG 2.0 translation has an “Anmerkungen” section in the
> top disclaimer area, and links to a separate “Anmerkungen zur deutschen
> Übersetzung der WCAG 2.0” page.
> (https://www.w3.org/Translations/WCAG20-de/anmerkungen.html
> <https://www.w3.org/Translations/WCAG20-de/anmerkungen.html>)

I have seen that approach, imho, a good way to list the comments in the
document. But keeping the comments in place were misunderstandings could
occur is more helpful than only showing these "Anmerkungen" at the
bottom. Readers search for specific sections, read them and leave. So
the "Anmerkungen" will not be read in most cases.

Just my two cent
STS