Re: German Translation WCAG 2.1 - Disapproval

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your reply. The page you refer to is only related to
translations for the Internationalization (I18n) Activity from W3C. It
seems also outdated.

You can find the current translation guidelines for W3C Standards
(“Recommendations”) here:
https://www.w3.org/Consortium/Translation/Overview.html

Among these guidelines, it states:

> **Do not change or adapt or add to the meaning of the English version
> in your translation.** If you have suggestions for changes to the
> English version, provide them to the technical report editors as
> indicated in *Status of this Document section** of the technical
> report.

The policy for Authorized Translations which builds on these volunteer
translation criteria can be found here:
https://www.w3.org/2005/02/TranslationPolicy.html

I do not find any information on how to add translation notes inside the
normative text. (But this might be under-documented.)

That said, the WCAG 2.0 translation has an “Anmerkungen” section in
the top disclaimer area, and links to a separate “Anmerkungen zur
deutschen Übersetzung der WCAG 2.0” page.
(https://www.w3.org/Translations/WCAG20-de/anmerkungen.html)

I think adding a note about the wording in a similar place/document for
WCAG 2.1 might help to clarify the issue. I wonder if that could ease
the concerns raised by Gottfried Zimmermann.

👋 Eric

--

outline Consulting

Sandra Kallmeyer und Eric Eggert GbR