Re: German Translation WCAG 2.1 - Disapproval

Hello editors and translators,

Am 23.03.22 um 09:48 schrieb Eric Eggert:
> The translation of assistive technology as “assistierende Techniken” was
> a WCAG 2.0 translation consensus reached as German speaking countries
> have different names. The discussion only refers to sources in Germany
> for the impetus of the change request where “assistive Technologien” is
> prevalent.

in the past we used to add a "comment of the translator(s)" in a box
that was clearly marked as a comment of the translator(s).

Adding these comments helps readers to understand why translators used
terms that, e.g., might be not up to date anymore.

A comment why the term "assistierende Techniken" is used and that it
might be referred to as "Assistive Techniken" or "Assistive
Technologien" in other sources and why this decision was made, would
help in this case.

Adding these comments is fine with W3C as you can see in
https://www.w3.org/International/2004/06/translation-process.
See "Changes to the text".
Please correct me if that is not true for authorized translations.

I would say a good translation should have these comments in place where
a precise translation is not possible, where multiple terms might be
right, and in case there are already Errata that correct the original
version.

Regards
Stefan Schumacher

PS. When I translated WCAG 2.1 end of 2018 up to chapter 1.4 without
looking at WCAG 2.0 I used "assistierende Technologie". Even though I
prefer "Technologie" over "Technik" myself, I would not deem it a reason
for a general disapproval.