RE: Vendor implementation status: Web MIDI API

Folks,

Please see this article from the OC Register about Elton John's concert this
Friday using Yamaha's DisklavierTV web platform. The article doesn't say so,
but the player technology being used is (of course) MIDI... over the web.
This is a serious commercial application, and others will certainly appear
once there are standard APIs.

- TW

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/piano-387975-yamaha-music.html

  _____

That whole thread is MORE than worth a look; there was pretty strong
questioning on that list whether MIDI support in the web platform was
worthwhile.  I will be working on responding to these concerns of course.

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 7:03 AM, Olivier Thereaux
<Olivier.Thereaux@bbc.co.uk> wrote:

On 22 Jan 2013, at 14:55, olivier Thereaux <olivier@thereaux.net> wrote:
> On 27 Nov 2012, at 18:08, Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com> wrote:
>
>> I know I've said this before, but maybe not directly and publicly: Google
is certainly interested in the Web MIDI API, and we are working on a plan to
build a native implementation in Webkit; as soon as we have an
implementation under way, I will let the group know.  I will also continue
to maintain the Web MIDI polyfill, and continue to work with plugin vendors
to support the features we need to fully support Web MIDI on top of plugins.

> Speaking of which.

http://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2013-January/023376.html

The whole thread on the webkit list is actually worth a look.

In particular, I will invite the group to read:
http://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2013-January/023395.html

The question Maciej asks is similar to the one we will have to ask
ourselves.

While (per w3c process anyway) it is not necessary that several browser
engines implement the spec, we will need two interoperable implementations
(libraries, engines, etc) before the spec can reach the more advanced stages
of standard maturity.

Olivier