Re: Vendor implementation status: Web MIDI API

--
Olivier Thereaux - BBC Internet Research and Future Services

On 22 Jan 2013, at 14:55, olivier Thereaux <olivier@thereaux.net> wrote:
> On 27 Nov 2012, at 18:08, Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com> wrote:
>
>> I know I've said this before, but maybe not directly and publicly: Google is certainly interested in the Web MIDI API, and we are working on a plan to build a native implementation in Webkit; as soon as we have an implementation under way, I will let the group know.  I will also continue to maintain the Web MIDI polyfill, and continue to work with plugin vendors to support the features we need to fully support Web MIDI on top of plugins.
>
> Speaking of which…
>       http://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2013-January/023376.html

The whole thread on the webkit list is actually worth a look.

In particular, I will invite the group to read:
http://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2013-January/023395.html

The question Maciej asks is similar to the one we will have to ask ourselves.

While (per w3c process anyway) it is not necessary that several browser engines implement the spec, we will need two interoperable implementations (libraries, engines, etc) before the spec can reach the more advanced stages of standard maturity.

Olivier

http://www.bbc.co.uk
If you have received it in
Do not use, copy or disclose the