Re: Sites using webkitAudioContext only

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 3:03 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 4:45 AM, Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com> wrote:
>
>> If you ship only the new names, a lot of existing content won't work.  If
>> you ship the old names, but not webkitAudioContext, still a lot of existing
>> content won't work.
>>

> Hence this thread.
>

>> That content was developed to a prefixed, potentially non-standard
>> implementation, by definition.  Unless your goal is to exactly replicate
>> the webkit-prefixed platform that content was written on, it's not all
>> going to work.
>>

> Having some things not work is OK. Having lots of important things not
> work is not OK. There are tradeoffs here and it's rational to choose a
> non-end-point.

I'm confused as to whether you're prioritizing support a great Web Audio
standard, or being compatible with "all the content" currently out there.

> We need to be realistic - today, there is no shipping implementation that
>> even uses the correct unprefixed name, so anyone who writes var ctx =
>> AudioContext is just being hopeful.
>>

> Web developers tend to do that. Which is one reason why prefixing fails.

Indeed.  And we (collective we) won't be doing that any more.  :)

> - but we need to be realistic that on day one, all the content developed
>> to the nascent webkit/blink implementation is not going to work on a
>> standards implementation, and some of it never will (if it's never
>> maintained).
>>

> We might be able to get close without much work.
>
> I think we (Mozilla) should put the non-standard names behind a pref and
> put webkitAudioContext behind another pref. Then as our Web Audio
> implementation marches through our release process, users and developers
> can easily experiment to see how much compatibility we get by turning on
> those features. If we get valuable compatibility, the argument for
> defaulting on the necessary prefs is strong.

See above.  I can guarantee you will get much more compatibility if you
replicate webkitAudioContext and the old names; that doesn't mean it's a
good thing to do for the health of the web (particularly as it makes it
nigh on impossible to ever get that stuff OUT of the web platform).

-C