Re: DynamicsCompressorNode

This basic idea has been adopted, and even legislated, for digital TV (CALM
act). The digital TV
standards are being promoted for console gaming, per the link I sent
earlier. The relevant standards
are EBU R128 and ATSC RP A/85. The adopted measure of loudness is ITU-R
BS.1770. It would
be a mistake to use any other loudness measurement or use any other
standard average level.

A result is that streaming video content is likely to be mastered according
to these standards.
This will lead to level mismatches between video and other web audio
content unless the other
web content follows the same standards, or unless the video is remastered
to a different level.
But, without a standard, what level would that be?

Something to also consider is the health and safety aspect. If audio levels
on web pages vary
too much then there is a danger of users getting blasted by unexpectedly
loud audio when they
transition from a quiet page to a loud one.

The situation is even worse if one is listening to web audio content on a
smart TV system that
where one can switch between web browsing, video streaming, DVD and Blu-ray
playback, apps,
and console gaming. There is a huge potential for annoyingly inconsistent
audio levels.

Levels could be enforced over a long-time average with a very slow-acting
compressor/limiter.
The result would be transparent if the time-constant is large enough.
At some slow-enough rate the phenomenom of change-blindness should take
place,
where a user cannot tell that the level is changing.

Sincerely,
   Frederick