Re: ScriptProcessorNode bufferSize should be optional

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 8:02 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>wrote:

> We've discussed before how, if the specified buffer size matters in terms
> of avoiding underruns etc, it's likely that most Web authors will not be
> able to choose a buffer size that's appropriate for the Web Audio
> implementation and underlying hardware.
>
> So, I think we should make the bufferSize parameter optional. When it's
> not given, the UA will choose a suitable buffer size, which will be
> constant for the lifetime of that ScriptprocessorNode. We would encourage
> authors to not specify a fixed buffer size.
>
> We'll do this in Firefox if there are no objections.

That seems possible, except then the number of input and output channels
will take their default values of 2.  If the developer wants to choose
different channel values but still have the UA choose the buffer size what
would we specify for the buffer size, maybe 0?

I think it's best that if the UA chooses the buffer size, then the value
should still be a power of 2 and be the same every time the event handler
is called.  It's easier for developers that way.