start() and grain

Coming from a bit out of the loop, so forgive me if there's an obvious answer....

I'm looking at the audio buffer to see if it could be appropriate for a sampler project I have. I'm curious about granular playback for decoupling rate and pitch. In looking at the granular possibilities, I came across this in the mailing list archive:

> As discussed on the 12th September teleconference, the suggestion is to not
> have a separate method for this, but instead to overload the start() method
> with extra parameters.

But I'm looking at
https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/audio/raw-file/tip/webaudio/specification.html#AudioBufferSourceNode
and I don't see any reference to any parameters in the start() method to do this.
Any hints?

Peter