Re: Web Audio API ambient drone

Den 2012-07-15 17:03:08 skrev Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com>:

> On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Matt Diamond <mdiamond@jhu.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> Put together a little experiment in synthesizing an ambient sound
>> texture
>> using the Web Audio API:
>>
>> http://matt-diamond.com/drone.html
>>
>> Matt

Matt, nice demo!

> Hey Matt-
>
> Neat!  I like the apparent pitch generated by bandpass filter.
>
> One comment - instead of continually generating noise via
> JavaScriptAudioNodes, you'd probably find it much more performant to
> pre-generate a couple of seconds (to avoid any detectable periodicity) of
> noise in a Buffer and playing it as an AudioNode.  That would probably
> be a
> bit more performant than continually calling Math.random for each sample.
>
> var lengthInSamples =  2 * audioContext.sampleRate;
> var noiseBuffer = audioContext.createBuffer(1, lengthInSamples,
> audioContext.sampleRate);
> var bufferData = noiseBuffer.getChannelData(0);
> for (var i = 0; i < lengthInSamples; ++i) {
>     bufferData[i] = (2*Math.random() - 1);
> }

Surely, Math.random() can't be the bottleneck here. On my computer
Math.random() can generate 48000 samples in less than one millisecond. In
other words, it should consume less than 4% CPU if 40 such sources are
used - yet Chrome consumes 45% CPU when running the demo.

/Marcus

--
Marcus Geelnard
Core Graphics Developer