Re: oscillators and the Web Audio API

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Alistair MacDonald <al@signedon.com> wrote:

> > As much as I like the idea of built in high quality oscillators, I am
> > concerned about scope creep.
>
> Your point about scope creep makes a lot of sense, though a couple of
> trade-offs spring to mind that I think are worth considering.
>
> 1) Performance & 2) Fidelity, in music synthesis.

I think that "Fidelity" is key here.  The difference between properly
anti-aliased oscillators and crude oscillators is huge.

> Assuming you are creating oscillators in JavaScript and using a Native
> Audio Processing graph for routing and effects, there could be a
> significant performance issue. For music production applications that
> would contain lets say "8" soft-synths, there could easily be upwards
> of 16 oscillators running on mono-synths alone. Some of these
> soft-synths would be going though a native lo/hi/band-pass filter,
> some would be using the Native convolution to add reverb, sometimes
> the signal would be being split and then additional JavaScript
> processing might be applied to the any of the signals for a specific
> effect before it's final delivery to the audio context.
>
> I think going back-and-forth between the Native Graph and the
> JavaScript Processing Nodes is going to be quite expensive, and having
> an OscillatorNode with several core wave shapes, that had the
> high-resolution parameter scheduling that the other nodes have, would
> be much less expensive than writing and modifying oscillators in
> JavaScript. Especially where the graph-to-javascript pathway becomes
> complex. I also think a good deal of industry
> musicians/artists/audio-developers would much-prefer to use the
> classic method of synthesis that was not sample-based and did not use
> wave-tables.
>
> Clearly the performance of an OscillatorNode would be different from a
> WaveTableNode, but it seems to make sense to have both options. Most
> good music synthesis applications have both.
>
> I want to re-iterate that this does not nullify Joe's point about
> scope-creep in any way. I am taking an idealistic look across the
> existing music software landscape.
>
> It would be interesting to know...  perhaps Chris Rogers / Phil Burk
> might be able to offer some thoughts on this...
>
> 1) How complicated would it be to add an OscillatorNode to the Native
> Graph?

I haven't yet examined Phil's code, but my feeling is that it should be
straightforward.

> 2) Are there any foreseeable complications/gotchas to doing this?

I share some of Joe's concerns about feature creep too, but in this case I
believe:

* the extra API footprint is minimal (one more AudioNode with simple
parametric control)
* the sound quality improvement is significant
* the node represents a fundamental building-block of audio as shown in
many previous audio systems and books written about computer music.  I like
Phil's metaphor "they can be considered the elements from which audio
molecules are built"

Chris