Re: Adding MIDI APIs to Audio WG Charter (was: MIDI enumeration (was: Re: getUserMedia use cases))

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Tom White (MMA) <lists@midi.org> wrote:

> **
>
> That's what I meant about other browsers - all the other major browsers
> ship on OSX (and many on Linux, etc), where they couldn't rely on an SMF/GM
> component being available.
>
> Right... the GM component (synth) is available, just not the SMF component
> (file player). (Just want to be clear about that.)
> So if I was in a problem-solving mode, I'd be looking for some way to get
> the SMF file-player code into browsers, if not into OSX and Linux
> distributions themselves.

The GM (synth) component doesn't seem to be available in an easy
programmable form (e.g. as a MIDI device) on OSX (or Android, for that
matter).

Obviously, if we have the right MIDI API, a Javascript synth could install
itself in a background process and create a virtual instrument.  I don't
think I've seen any JS-implemented GM synths yet...  :)