Re: Web Audio API spec review

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 12:06 AM, Marcus Geelnard <mage@opera.com> wrote:

> Den 2012-05-16 01:54:17 skrev Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com>:
>

>  Unless the W3C Recommended API is named "webkitAudioContext", this
>> shouldn't be too much of a problem.
>>
>> Seriously, though - no, we do not want to arbitrarily break the games and
>> other apps that have gone out already using early versions of the Web
>> Audio
>> API, but we are committed to migrating those apps over to a standard API
>> that works across browsers, whatever that API might be.  While I agree our
>> evangelism has not been quite perfect in terms of clearly delineating
>> experimental and early APIs, I would point out that in our more recent
>> efforts (e.g. recent articles on HTML5Rocks), we've been purposefully
>> improving that, and even with that admission, I would not characterize our
>> past efforts as heavy evangelism for production apps.  And it currently
>> *IS* the only solution for audio processing in Chrome; we certainly hope
>> improve it and turn it into a cross-browser standard API, but we've never
>> presented it as such that I know of.
>>
>> At any rate - we can absolutely take breaking changes - for some features,
>> even under our webkit prefix.  I don't know, to use one example, how
>> quickly we could remove "noteOn" after adding "start", under the webkit
>> prefix- I wouldn't want to break Angry Birds, etc., although I'm happy to
>> go evangelize that they need to change their code for such changes
>> (presuming there's an actual reason and it's not gratuitous).  After all,
>> that's my job.
>>

> I don't really see this as an issue. We could have two audio API:s during
> a transitional period:
>
> * The WebKit prefixed version, which basically stays as it is today and
> continues to support legacy applications that are unlikely to migrate to
> the new API in a timely manner.
> * The un-prefixed cross-browser "standard" version.
>
> The fact is that whatever the audio API will look like, it will stay
> around for a very long time - and I think the Web deserves a good,
> sustainable audio API, so let's not push something just because of legacy
> support (there are already too many examples of that in the computer
> industry).
>
> /Marcus

Hi Marcus,

I'm not sure that this approach of supporting two versions in WebKit (the
prefixed and un-prefixed standard version) aligns with Robert's concern
about "overhang", where there might be some subset (perhaps large) which
will only work in WebKit browsers.

But, if you're talking only about a "transitional" period instead of
supporting two versions in WebKit forever, then maybe that could work.

Chris