Re: Web Audio API spec review

Den 2012-05-16 01:54:17 skrev Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com>:

> Unless the W3C Recommended API is named "webkitAudioContext", this
> shouldn't be too much of a problem.
>
> Seriously, though - no, we do not want to arbitrarily break the games and
> other apps that have gone out already using early versions of the Web
> Audio
> API, but we are committed to migrating those apps over to a standard API
> that works across browsers, whatever that API might be.  While I agree
> our
> evangelism has not been quite perfect in terms of clearly delineating
> experimental and early APIs, I would point out that in our more recent
> efforts (e.g. recent articles on HTML5Rocks), we've been purposefully
> improving that, and even with that admission, I would not characterize
> our
> past efforts as heavy evangelism for production apps.  And it currently
> *IS* the only solution for audio processing in Chrome; we certainly hope
> improve it and turn it into a cross-browser standard API, but we've never
> presented it as such that I know of.
>
> At any rate - we can absolutely take breaking changes - for some
> features,
> even under our webkit prefix.  I don't know, to use one example, how
> quickly we could remove "noteOn" after adding "start", under the webkit
> prefix- I wouldn't want to break Angry Birds, etc., although I'm happy to
> go evangelize that they need to change their code for such changes
> (presuming there's an actual reason and it's not gratuitous).  After all,
> that's my job.

I don't really see this as an issue. We could have two audio API:s during
a transitional period:

* The WebKit prefixed version, which basically stays as it is today and
continues to support legacy applications that are unlikely to migrate to
the new API in a timely manner.
* The un-prefixed cross-browser "standard" version.

The fact is that whatever the audio API will look like, it will stay
around for a very long time - and I think the Web deserves a good,
sustainable audio API, so let's not push something just because of legacy
support (there are already too many examples of that in the computer
industry).

/Marcus

--
Använder Operas banbrytande e-postklient: http://www.opera.com/mail/