Re: Accname question regarding self-references

Agreed with "A".  Value shouldn't be part of the accessible name in this example.

________________________________
From: Carolyn MacLeod <Carolyn_MacLeod@ca.ibm.com>
Sent: Monday, January 4, 2021 11:53 PM
To: nurthen@adobe.com <nurthen@adobe.com>
Cc: jongund@illinois.edu <jongund@illinois.edu>; public-aria@w3.org <public-aria@w3.org>; sina@sinabahram.com <sina@sinabahram.com>
Subject: RE: Accname question regarding self-references

I would have thought it was A. "The Label ariaLabel".

FYI, Bryan's AccName Prototype Test page<https://whatsock.github.io/w3c-alternative-text-computation/Editable%20Live%20Input%20AccName%20Test.html> says the accessible name is simply "The Label".
I'm not sure whether that's intentional, or perhaps the prototype doesn't handle the self-referential aria-labelledby?

Note that if you want to try the prototype, the id of the element being tested needs to be "test" so I changed James' code a tiny bit, to:

<input id="test" aria-label="ariaLabel" aria-labelledby="label test" value="the value">

Paste the above code into the second textarea and then click the Paste & Test button.
The accessible name will be displayed in the first textarea.

I thought for sure there was a WCAG Technique for this, but the closest I can find is ARIA9<https://w3c.github.io/wcag/techniques/aria/ARIA9>, which doesn't use aria-label.
While looking through the WCAG Techniques, I noticed this statement in ARIA6<https://w3c.github.io/wcag/techniques/aria/ARIA6>, which may need to be modified?
"Authors should be aware that aria-label may be disregarded by assistive technologies in situations where aria-labelledby is used for the same object."

Car