From: Aaron Leventhal <aleventhal@google.com>
Sent: Monday, April 09, 2018 3:01 PM
To: Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@levelaccess.com>
Cc: ARIA Working Group <public-aria@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Use cases for aria-relevant?

Bryan,

Regarding that wishy washy "optional attribute" wording: to clarify what we were trying to say, perhaps unsuccessfully: the browser is required to present DOM changes as well as the ARIA live properties (atomic, relevant, live, busy). The screen reader should look at these properties but may consider them hints rather than definitive. For example, if the screen reader has its own useful heuristics, settings or site-specific scripts, it's free to decide what is ultimately the best experience. For example, perhaps a screen reader has a 4-way setting for live regions: speak all, none, use website markup, or "smart" where it makes up its own mind. The ARIA spec authors didn't want to preclude that possibility, that a screen reader could decide to do something "better". We couldn't predict the future and know how good of a job authors would do, or how willing users would be to tweak page-specific settings, or whether ATs would develop useful heuristics (e.g. maybe it's always useful to speak changes that come as the direct result of a keypress). You get the idea -- maybe it needs to be reworded.

- Aaron