W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-aria@w3.org > September 2017

RE: Agenda for Monday, 18 September 2017 ARIA Authoring Practices Task Force

From: Ku, Ja Eun <jku@illinois.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 18:06:51 +0000
To: Matt King <a11ythinker@gmail.com>, 'ARIA Working Group' <public-aria@w3.org>
CC: "public-aria-practices@w3.org" <public-aria-practices@w3.org>
Message-ID: <ACF35B439B891E408A70DF1C1D1D0F1B2D602B50@CITESMBX6.ad.uillinois.edu>
Here is the meeting minutes from today's ARIA - APG meeting. 
https://www.w3.org/2017/09/18-aria-apg-minutes.html


Text version is copied below. 

Thanks, 

JaEun Jemma Ku, PhD
Internet Applications Systems Specialist
University library
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
424 Library, M/C 522
1408 West Gregory Dr.
Urbana, IL 61801
1-217-244-2145
jku@illinois.edu
http://a11yfirst.library.illinois.edu/




---------------------------
W3C
- DRAFT -

ARIA APG TF

18 Sep 2017

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
jongund, matt_king, JaEunJemmaKu, AnnAbbott, shirisha, Bryan, Garaventa
Regrets
Chair
Matt King
Scribe
Jemma, AnnAbbott
Contents

Topics
New ARIA Task Force Tools
3Q17 Milestone Health Check
VNU Checking During CI Build
Combobox Pattern
Summary of Action Items
Summary of Resolutions
<mck> meeting: ARIA Practices Task Force for September 18, 2017
<mck> https://github.com/w3c/aria-practices/wiki/September-18%2C-2017-Meeting

<jemma> scribe: Jemma
New ARIA Task Force Tools

<AnnAbbott> scribe: AnnAbbott
were a sub-group, now an official taskforce

<mck> https://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/task-forces/practices/

<scribe> new mailing list, public-aria-practices@w3.org
What parts of communcation do we want to change?

ok, Jemma

<jamesn> +1 to moving lists
<jongund> 1+
<sirib> 1+
<jongund> +1
<sirib> +1
Use public-aria-practices@w3.org for agendas and minutes and discussions regarding those items

<mck> https://www.w3.org/2000/09/dbwg/details?group=102172&public=1

<jemma> mck:today's minutes will be posted to aria working group
<jemma> mck: from next week, it will be posted to public-aria-practices@w3.org
<jemma> jamesn: there are people who would like to join/contribute to the group but they cannot because their company is not part of w3c
<jemma> will talk to michael copper about it
3Q17 Milestone Health Check

<jemma> mck: we will push another one soon
<jemma> https://github.com/w3c/aria-practices/milestone/6

1. Combobox: Write pattern and implement both a 1.0 and 1.1 style example with a listbox popup.

<jemma> mck: can it be done by next week?
<jemma> mck: I can move out combobox to next milestone.
2. Multithumb slider: Update pattern and implement an example.

<jemma> https://github.com/w3c/aria-practices/issues/221

<jemma> jongund: to have unique label requirement, we added two
3. Window splitter: Update pattern and implement an example.

<jemma> james: I will do work on it
4. June 28 publication feedback: Triage issues; resolve any targeted for this milestone based on urgency.

<jemma> mck: we don't need make any chance in the code example, just change to the doc
VNU Checking During CI Build

<jemma> https://github.com/w3c/aria-practices/pull/421

<jemma> jamesn: I will look into this. assign this to me.
<jemma> mck: this will be good thing to add
Combobox Pattern

<jemma> mcb: this will speed up the publication
https://rawgit.com/w3c/aria-practices/combo-examples-1.1/aria-practices.html#combobox


mck: wants feedback from James and Bryan for "Does the description omit any important features?"

<jemma> https://github.com/w3c/aria-practices/issues/31

<mck> 1. The value for the textbox must be chosen from a predefined set of allowed values, e.g., a location field must contain a valid location name. Note that
<mck> the listbox and menu button patterns are also useful in this scenario; differences between combobox and alternative patterns are described below.
<mck> Combobox widgets are useful for setting the value of a single-line textbox in one of two types of scenarios:
<mck> 2. The textbox may contain any arbetrary value, but it is advantageous to suggest possible values to the user, e.g., a search field may suggest similar
<mck> or previous searches to save the user time.
<mck> When providing a compact widget that asks users to choose one value from a known set of discrete values, often either a
<mck> listbox
<mck> or
<mck> menu button
<mck> is simpler to implement and use. One feature of combobox that distinguishes it from both listbox and menu button is that the value of the combobox is
<mck> presented in an edit field. Thus, the combobox gives users one function that both listbox and menu button lack, namely the ability to select some or all
<mck> of the value for copying to the clipboard.
<jemma> ar·bi·trar·y
<jemma> siri: are we adding confusion by adding menu button pattern?
<jemma> mck: alternative pattern for combo box, menu item is like a list item, eg. menu item check box
<jemma> jongund: I have a good example of combo box. we can look into that.
Question: The description intentionally avoids the inherrantly confusing term "read-only combobox" to refer to a combobox restricted to a predefined set of values. Does the approach work?

<jemma> mck: I will just use it as "read only widget" for now
Question: Is the note about the ARIA 1.0 pattern adequate?

<jemma> Question: The keyboard interaction currently includes all single-line textbox keys partly because we do not have a textbox pattern. Should we keep it this way?
ARIA 1.0 pattern to come

<jemma> question:Is the proposed structure for the keyboard section good?
<jemma> mck: should we add textbox keyboard interaction here or just reference it when we have textbox keyboard interaction
<jemma> jemma: can we reuse existing keyboard pattern?
<jemma> mck: grid and tree may be possible
<jemma> mck: but there are some differences
<jemma> the biggest difference is char and back space, the same thing is down/up arrow but there is still some difference.
<jemma> mck: my original plan is using existing one but I found some difference
<jemma> I am not sure about reusing grid keyboard interaction yet.
<jemma> mck: using keyboard interaction for link may be possible but not sure about tree and grid. I will look into more.
Summary of Action Items



-----Original Message-----
From: Matt King [mailto:a11ythinker@gmail.com] 
Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2017 10:59 PM
To: 'ARIA Working Group' <public-aria@w3.org>
Cc: public-aria-practices@w3.org
Subject: Agenda for Monday, 18 September 2017 ARIA Authoring Practices Task Force 

Monday, 18 September 2017  ARIA Authoring Practices Task Force 

Time: 10:00 AM US Pacific, 1:00 PM US Eastern
duration: 60 minutes
IRC server: irc.w3.org, port: 6665, channel: #aria-apg
Agenda: https://github.com/w3c/aria-practices/wiki/September-18%2C-2017-Meeting

Topics:
* New ARIA Task Force Tools
* 3Q17 Milestone Health Check
* VNU Checking During CI Build
* Combobox Pattern
* Examples of ARIA 1.1 Combobox with Listbox Popup

-------------------------------------------------------
To join the WebEx audio conference, you may call in via phone or join the online meeting and request a call back to any number.
US toll call-in: +1-617-324-0000
Access code (meeting number): 640 859 469 Mobile Auto Dial:+1-617-324-0000,,,640859469#

To join the online meeting:
1. Go to https://mit.webex.com/mit/j.php?MTID=ma880be53415dc3d751387cd2fcc47cb7

2. Enter your name and email address. 
3. Enter the meeting password. You may ask for it on the IRC channel if you do not know it.
4. Click "Join". 

WebEx support:
1. Go to https://mit.webex.com/mit/mc

2. From the left navigation bar, choose "Support".


Received on Monday, 18 September 2017 18:07:48 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Monday, 18 September 2017 18:07:48 UTC