From: Steve Faulkner [mailto:faulkner.steve@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 4:07 AM
To: Bryan Garaventa <bryan.garaventa@levelaccess.com>
Cc: ARIA Working Group <public-aria@w3.org>
Subject: Re: ARIA and HTML document question about implicit headings

Bryan wrote:
"I noticed recently that according to the ARIA and HTML mapping tables, the use of aria-level is said to not be allowed on H1 through H6 elements, even though these implicitly map to role="heading"."

It would be really helpful to provide a reference to a source when making such statements.

I noticed recently that according to the ARIA and HTML mapping tables, the use of aria-level is said to not be allowed on H1 through H6 elements, even though these implicitly map to role="heading".

Since supporting attributes like aria-pressed and aria-haspopup are accepted on other implicit elements like role="button", amongst other implicit role and attribute combinations, why is this one different?

Bryan Garaventa
Accessibility Fellow
Level Access, Inc.
Bryan.Garaventa@LevelAccess.com<mailto:Bryan.Garaventa@LevelAccess.com>